Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort ... so where from here

From: "Stewart L" <stewartl42 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:09:20 -0400

you should try to pare down the list based on your networks.   I have A HUGE
network at work (400 sites, tons of public-facing servers).  Properly
defining the web servers, DNS servers, FTP servers, etc will help.

Check the top 5 every day and see if they are valid or false positives.  If
they are false positives, whack 'em.   The guy who initially set our SNORT
box up used the complete rule set and we were getting tons of alerts.  I've
been working on it for an hour a day for a week or so and it's much more
tuned now.

Stew

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Brent Clark <brentgclarklist () gmail com>