Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort versions in production

From: "Matt Olney" <molney () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:10:54 -0500

This is truely the best advice.  In particular, the Snort team has
shined on the 2.8 line:

2.8.1 SSL Preprocessor, GRE, IP tunneling
2.8.2  Pattern matching enhancement, rule option tree
2.8.3 MPLS, HTTP_Inspect improvements.

The VRT writes rules to the latest version, and rules are not
guaranteed to be backwards compatible.  If you're deploying Snort to
actually provide useful data in your environment, then you need to
stay current on versions.  2.8.4 will be no different, with some
substantial upgrades expected.

Matt