Snort mailing list archives

Re: Upgrading from Snort v2.3.2 to 2.8.3.1

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:06:41 -0500

On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:59 PM, Ian Masters allegedly wrote:

Ian, I suggest that you output to unified.  Then use a third party
tool,
like Barnyard or SnortUnified.pm to parse the Unified file and insert
into the db.  Inserting into the DB directly from Snort, is bad.

Can you tell me why it is "bad"? That is the way our system was set
up a
few years ago. There haven't been any problems that I'm aware of.

If it would be better to do as you suggest, I'll need to do that on a
test system first.

That might take quite some time.

Snort is single threaded.  You want it to output as fast as possible
to reduce packet processing latency.  (Unified is fastest).  By having
Snort do direct database inserts, Snort has to "stop" being an IDS,
and do an INSERT on the table.  It's not a big problem by itself, but
if you are alot of inserts at the same time, you will drop packets.