Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] [Snort-sigs] Snort rules against traffic from Tor

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:42:05 -0500

Joel Esler wrote:
The more suspicious
things they do the more points they get until they cross a threshold
and
get blocked. So properly configured we could detect someone probing
for
pages to attack before they got to the sql injection.

Yeah, that's great, until you start blocking real customers.  End of
that product.

No, then you adjust to not block real customers. We've been doing so for
quite a long time and blocking IPS's are still around.

Because I'm not yet sure that everything coming at me from tor is bad.
And I doubt that I'll be able to say everything from there is bad. But
it tells me something about what's coming at me and helps me make a
block decision.

Exactly my point.  Just because something *can* alert, doesn't mean it
should.  Block at the perimeter devices and monitor what actually gets
through.

Different philosophies here. See my last post. I don't care to let
people beat on the door until they get through. I would rather the
night-watchman tazer the crackhead beating on the front window to my
bank even though he may not be able to break the glass. Both approaches
are valid.

More information is usually better IMHO.

More information that allows you to have actionable intelligence is
better.  Alerts that go into a db just "Because"?  Pointless.

Agreed. But this isn't pointless by any means. Depends on how you act
upon intelligence.

Matt

--
Joel Esler