Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Q] thresholding: to throttle flood of alerts

From: Jack Pepper <pepperjack () afferentsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:42:50 -0500

It *does* seem illogical to specify a (tcp/udp) port number when the
protocol is not tcp or udp.

jp

Quoting Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>:

I think I remember someone saying not too long ago about you can't use
ports with an "ip" rule?

On Oct 16, 2008, at 2:59 AM, Victor Klimov wrote:

Hi Leon,

Yeah, I know, it should work...
But it doesn't:

#Rule for alerting common TCP/UDP flood attack:
alert ip any any -> any 5060 (msg:"COMMUNITY SIP TCP/IP message
flooding directed to SIP proxy"; threshold: type limit, track by_src,
count 1, seconds600; classtype:attempted-dos; sid:100000160; rev:2;)

This rule above should limit the flooding alert: once in 10 min.
However I continue to see a lot of 100000160 alerts, several per
minute.
Hmm...

Victor

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Leon Ward <seclists () rm-rf co uk>