Snort mailing list archives

Re: barnyard regular restart required

From: Ian Masters <ian () acces co jp>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 17:48:31 +0900

Thanks again for the reply.

Again I do not use Barnyard, but any chance you are using outputting from
Barnyard to MySQL (did not catch it the first time but you must be if you
are using base...)? More specifically MySQL Server 5, there is an issue
where the connection to MySQL times out, and MySQL does nothing about it.

I am indeed outputting from Barnyard to MySQL and my MySQL version is
indeed 5 (Sorry I didn't include this information to begin with)

With Snort logging straight to MySQL this manifests as Snort log messages
like "snort[10778]: database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away "

Not sure if Barnyard will log anything in this senario...

I haven't come across anything useful like that yet.

I *believe* that if you run lsof -i it will still show that snort
(barnyard in your case) is still connected to MySQL (even tho the
connection is dead)

lsof -i shows:
mysqld     4637   mysql   10u  IPv4    8513       TCP *:mysql (LISTEN)

The machine is a test machine which gets very few alerts.

Thanks for the ideas. It's given me a bit more to think about. I'm
surprised that it's not happening to other users too.

Ian