Snort mailing list archives

Re: Questions: Filtering ESP & Duplicate traffic

From: Jack Pepper <pepperjack () afferentsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:39:02 -0500

Quoting Seth Art <sethsec () gmail com>:

As far as filtering out things like ESP and VPN traffic, I see no
reason to inspect it
 if it's encrypted.  (That's what encryption is for right? To make
stuff unreadable?)

This is what I was thinking, although the pitfall that Jason Haar
mentions is exactly the one i was thinking of...  The "what if" at
some point in the future an ESP based vulnerability is identified.  I
worry that even though the VRT team releases sigs, I am blind to the
attack until I yank those bpf filters out.

I have picked up many HTTPS bofs with this rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 443 (msg: "HTTPS overflow
incoming"; flow: established; content:"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA";
nocase; classtype:trojan-activity;  sid: 2992007; rev:1;)

based on the idea that "what is the liklihood of an "A"-sled showing
up in encrypted traffic".  It gets lots of hits, even now 3 years
after the original OPENSSL defect was patched.

I would seem economical and reasonable to look for a sled of nops or
As in ESP traffic, because it just shouldn't ever happen.

jp

--

Framework?  I don't need no stinking framework!