Snort mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump script

From: "Nathaniel Richmond" <nate+snort () richmond-family org>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:22:11 -0400 (EDT)

Nigel Houghton wrote:

Quoting Leon to make it clear what he actually stated:

"The method I use is to keep a limited cache of network traffic via
tcpdump's ringbuffer mode, a few 100MB of pcap data. When Snort
raises
an alert, a process automatically kicks off that extracts the
session
that caused the alert from the ringbuffer and stores it for
prosperity."

In short, Leon is not using Snort to grab the packets. He is getting
full session data for the event and IMNSHO he's doing it elegantly.

p.s. *Everyone* should have upgraded to Snort 2.8.4 already, if not,
do it now.

Nigel, I understand. I was trying to point out that there can be
value in capturing more sessions than just the one that triggered
the alert.

The Snort 2.8.4 upgrade process was relatively painless.