Snort mailing list archives

Re: Supressing alert

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:24:18 -0600

Hi,

When I try this, I get an error message about the rule with the same GID/SID being redefined with a different type.  I
changed the SID to something in the 1 million range, and Snort loads correctly.

I defined this in local.rules:

pass tcp 10.0.0.1 any -> 10.0.0.2 any (msg:"ET ATTACK_RESPONSE Adenau Shellcode False Positive"; content:"|eb 19 5e 31
c9 81 e9|"; content:"|81 36|"; distance:0; content:"|81 ee fc ff ff ff|"; distance:0; classtype:shellcode-detect;
reference:url,doc.emergingthreats.net/2009249;
reference:url,www.emergingthreats.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/sigs/ATTACK_RESPONSE/ATTACK_RESPONSE_Common_ShellCode;
sid:1500000; rev:2;)

Is that the best method for ignoring this one specific src/dst pair for this specific detection with Snort? (I don't
want Snort to ignore all traffic going between these two machines.)