Snort mailing list archives

query about preprocessor design

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:25:41 +1200

Hi there

I was looking over README.dcerpc2 to see all the work that's gone into
the CIFS/SMB/DCE protocols. The preprocessor allows snort to "see"
things like connecting to shares - and you can even set up
preprocessor-based alerts based on connection attempts against a list of
"watchable" share names. All fine and good.

However, my question is why is this done as a preprocessor option
instead of a rule option? i.e. why is it "smb_invalid_shares" instead of
rule option "dce_sharename"? It appears to be that preprocessors should
limit their alerts to protocol inconsistencies - not standard functionality.

I mean, isn't snort generally inconsistent at the moment? We have
"uricontent" as a rule option - even though it's specific to HTTP, so
there is precedence. I'd love to see options like "dce_sharename",
"dce_filename" - as they have immediate value in the DLP (Data Loss
Prevention) arena - somewhere I suspect Sourcefire is interested in? If
I allow myself to get all overexcited, I'd even go as far as saying
there should be a generic "filename" rule option - and that all the
preprocessors you enable will add towards that definition. eg. enabling
SMTP, FTP, HTTP and DCE preprocessors will enable snort to track a
filename movement as email attachments, FTP/HTTP "PUT/POST" and
Samba/CIFS transfers. e.g. I'd love to track "hrdatabase.xls" (I'm
kidding!!!) around the network.

Time for my meds ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417