Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cannot Open FIFO with "-r" in latest Snort Releases

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:20:21 -0400

I'll create a bug for this and respond.

Simon Dunstone wrote:
Hi All,

I'd like to report what I believe is a bug in recent Snort releases
where a FIFO cannot be opened using the "-r" command line option.

System Architecture: x86
Operating System: RHEL5 v2.6.18-92.el5
Snort Version: Reproduced error on v2.8.4 and v2.8.5.1

This problem is most easily reproduced as follows:

   1. Create a FIFO (mkfifo /tmp/test.fifo)
   2. snort -r /tmp/test.fifo

Snort produces the following error output:

--== Initializing Snort ==--
Specified pcap is not a regular file: /tmp/test.fifo
ERROR: Error getting pcaps.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I can confirm that this worked in v2.7.0.

To get it working again locally I have modified line #5470 of
"parser.c" to allow both S_IFREG and S_IFIFO modes.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,
Simon Dunstone