Snort mailing list archives

Re: S5: Session exceeded configured max bytes

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:25:50 -0500

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>wrote:

 Hi there

Some of our snort-2.8.5.1 IDS systems are generating the following after
they've been running for "a while" (hours or days - we haven't diagnosed it
further)

S5: Session exceeded configured max bytes to queue 1048576 using 1048641
bytes (client queue).

I've seen this happen on very large file transfers, where one session, while
being reassembled, exceeds the queue length that is set in the snort.conf
(or by default, whichever one you've opted for).

I think that refers to max_queued_bytes? Can someone explain how this queue
can become full? I'm wondering if its related to network load? I'm guessing
here, but is it lots of simultaneous tcp sessions leading to per-session
queues growing - which means if more data is coming in that can be quickly
dealt with, you end up with this queue being exceeded? What's the impact of
increasing max_queued_bytes? More memory used of course, but (again,
guessing) increasing could help you around bursts - but probably not around
prolonged intense traffic flows? So if you don't have a burst problem, then
that would imply your hardware isn't up to the load? (ie need more RAM
and/or faster CPU, bus/whatever)

If this isn't happening very much, it might be just a "burst"/"freak
occurrence".  If this happens a lot, I would up the max_queued_bytes in
Stream5.  If you start dropping packets, you need more RAM.  (Or if you are
dropping packets now).

--
Joel Esler | 302-223-5974 | gtalk: jesler () sourcefire com