Snort mailing list archives

Question about rules

From: Ricardo Barbosa <ricardobarbosams () yahoo com br>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 02:52:08 -0300

Hello I am entering the world of IPs and began to test and learn
snort, but I have a question about creating rules. I
I was reading the snort manual in PDF file and has a chapter of
writing rules, following the documentation I created a rule as
down

alert tcp any any -> 10.0.0.0/8 80 (content:"test_rule"; msg: "TEST
HTTP";)

assembled a network with virtualbox with the following topology

10.0.0.0/8(.2) <---> (.1) snort (.1) <---> 20.0.0.0/8(.2)

I put a web server (apache) on 10.0.0.2 and created the following html

<h1> teste_rule</h1>

and from the machine 20.0.0.2 try to access this page through snort,
looking at the above rule should not generate an alert in the
file /var/log/snort/alert??

Can someone help me where I'm missing?

Regards,

Faça ligações para outros computadores com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
http://br.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/