Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort does not deamonize

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:07:29 +0000

On 1/28/2010 5:13 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
Frustration.  I was getting sick and tired of having to kill snort and then
start it in the background in order to get it to work.  I'd tried about
everything else I could think of, so I started it without the q (-D instead of
-Dq) and it worked.

  Was that introduced with 2.8.5(.1)?

No idea.  Someone else setup the box.  I'd never used the -q switch before, so
I don't know if this was a longstanding problem or recently introduced.  Maybe
Nigel can answer that.

  It definitely worked before.

Glad I could help.

You guys can also just add the following line to your snort.conf file
and it will daemonize:

config daemon

We try to keep everything in the conf files instead of passing stuff via
command line switches, but it is six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

-- Eoin