Snort mailing list archives

Re: Need help with base

From: Nick Moore <nmoore () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:52:48 -0500

KW,

What is your source of traffic? Are you plugged into a switch? If a
switch port is not SPAN'ed, you will not see interesting traffic.

You can double check your traffic source by running snort in sniffer
mode to output to your console. If you do not see workstations other
than your own using TCP/UDP connections at ports 25, 53, 80, 110, 135,
138, 139, 443, 445... you may be connected to a switch port and will
only see ARP and other broadcast traffic.

For Snort or any IDS to work well, you need a traffic Source in a
shared network medium, such as a hub, SPAN from a switch or network
tap between two network devices, e.g. a switch and a firewall.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my mobile device.

Nick Moore
Phone 708-336-9041