Snort mailing list archives

Re: throughput of snort usually(and with specific rules)

From: L0rd Ch0de1m0rt <l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:57:07 -0500

Hi.  I think detecting phishing attacks with snort is going to be
tough.  Since the phishing sites are not hosted on your networks, you
wont see the traffic unless the phishing site links back to your sites
somehow (e.g. maybe to a .gif or something) in which case you can
usually detect it in the HTTP Referer header to your sites.  But don't
use snort for that, just analyze your web logs.

As for malware, I'd recommend using the Emerging Threats ruleset
(www.emergingthreats.net).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-L0rd Ch0de1m0rt