Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to search for SID?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:49:03 -0400

Use grep. Take the message that you see below and search through the snort rules files for the message using grep.

--
Sent from my iPad
AIM: eslerjoel

On Apr 15, 2010, at 11:21 PM, "Chong Lee Poh" <Chong.LeePoh () allianz com my> wrote:

Hi,

My Snort report tool (SnortALog) generated info such as "WEB-MISC SSLv3
invalid data version attempt {tcp}", without showing the SID.

I do not have the SID, but I would like to find out if this alert
relevant to me. Is there a web site that I can key in the alert to look
for SID or explanation of the alert?

I use "http://www.snortid.com/"; to look for description when I have the
SID. However, for alert without SID, where can I obtain further
information?

Please assist!! Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chong

This e-mail and any attachments therewith are intended only for the use of the address. This e-mail may contain
confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying or  disclosure of information contained in
this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please contact the sender via return e-mail and delete this e-mail and attachments thereafter. Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost because this e-mail has been sent to you by mistake. Any liability for viruses is
excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.