Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Deployment

From: Joe Pampel <jpampel () paladyne com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:13:36 -0400

Good questions.. :)

Perhaps the most general answer is that it comes down to your own security policy.

FWIW I've long been fond of putting sensors outside and inside. What's coming at you, and what is getting through?
Trust but verify and all that...

A good tap makes this simple and you don't need lots of interfaces.   For example, I've good luck with these guys:
http://www.vssmonitoring.com/products/a_taps.asp

You can tap a bunch of places and feed all of them into a single gig-E which then goes into your snort sensor. The tap
has no L2 presence so it cannot be detected. If you have a good box for the sensor and not tons of traffic you can get
by with 2 interfaces.

I do like watching traffic outside so I can see what's getting tossed at us. Granted most of it is automated, but there
are some interesting events out there that the firewall logs would not ID with the same granularity.
I like the detail.

If you have inside and outside monitored, you don't really need DMZ since you already have DMZ traffic at your choke
points (probably). Again, I am sure some folks do monitor every DMZ. No right or wrong, it all comes down to your
policy.

Cheers,

Joe