Snort mailing list archives

Re: Another question about the inspect_gzip option in Snort 2.8.6

From: L0rd Ch0de1m0rt <l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:27:13 -0500

Yes, this makes sense.  Thank you Bhagyaa.  So then should the manual
read "To enable decompression of HTTP server response...."?

-L0rd Ch0de1m0rt

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bhagya Bantwal <bbantwal () sourcefire com> wrote:
inspect_gzip will just decompress the compressed data and store it in a
different buffer.

No compression in case of inline mode. So since we don't overwrite the
packet payload with decompressed data we dont need to compress the data
again.

max_gzip_mem (as mentioned in the manual) along with decompress and compress
depths determines the maximum number of http sessions (with gzipped data) to
decompress. This is an optimization option. We dont want the system to run
out of memory trying to decompress all the compressed data.

Hope that helps.
-B

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM, L0rd Ch0de1m0rt <l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com>