Snort mailing list archives

Re: ssn_groups_Jan10.csv link to download or file format snort 2.8.6.0

From: IT Security <itsecurity () radford edu>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:12:19 -0400

Lawrence R. Hughes, Sr. wrote:
Thanks JJC for your information:

On a monthly basis, the Social Security Administration publishes a list of which Group numbers are in use for each
Area.  These numbers can be updated in Snort by supplying a CSV file with the new maximum Group numbers to use.  By
default, Snort recognizes Social Security numbers issued up through November 2009.

from google:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/ssnvhighgroup.htm

We need a url that points to the file: ssn_groups_Jan10.csv

The Snort (2.8.6) user manual also mentions the file "ssn_groups_Jan10.csv", so where is it?
What is the format of this file for use with snort?

The above link just has flat text files for downloads, I think if snort referenced the file ssn_groups_Jan10.csv,
then someone should have it. We just need to see it so we can convert the SSN Groups to a csv file.

Thanks,
Larry

=====================
import re
import urllib

pattern = re.compile('\d{3} \d{2}')

fp = urllib.urlopen("http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssns/highgroup.txt";)
data = fp.read()
fp.close()

highgroups = pattern.findall(data)

fp = open('areas_groups.txt', 'w')
for group in highgroups:
    a, g = group.split()
    print a, g
    fp.write("%s,%s\n" %(a,g))
fp.close()

print len(highgroups), "Area and Group pairs downloaded."
=====================

Produces this sort of output:

001,08
002,08