Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort 2.8.6.0 & barnyard2-1.8 problems

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:51:07 +0000

On 6/9/2010 4:54 PM, JJC wrote:
What command are you using in your snort.conf to create the unified2 file output?

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Lawrence R. Hughes, Sr. <lhughes () safemedia com <mailto:lhughes () safemedia com>> wrote:

    Hi,
    Snort 2.8.6.0 reports to the mysql database without any problems,
    when we change snort to unified2 output,
    barnyard2-1.8 connects to the same database, but does not report
    anything?
    We get the messages from barnyard: Not IPv4 datagram! ([ver:
    0x6][len: 0x0])
    and it discards 100.00% ????
    Has anyone seen this problem?
    Thanks,
    Larry

Yea, its gotta be the type of output from Snort you are specifying. We run Snort 2.8.6.0 and Barnyard2 1.8 without any problems. I think I ran into something similiar previously when I was specifying multiple output types logging to the same directory and then pointed barnyard at it to spool from that location. You should just have this type of output configuration in your snort.conf:

output unified2: filename filename-unified2.log, limit 1

If you need to specify more types of output, you should put them into separate directories. Do you have the default output in the snort.conf and then just added the unified2 statement as well? I think I did that and had the same error once.

-- Eoin