Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS and HoneyPot placement in LAN

From: Matt Olney <molney () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:40:04 -0400

er...

you need that HoneyPot completely, utterly separated from any other
portion of your network.  Use more specific routes to make it >look<
like its in a certain place, but you need to ensure that there is no
chance that box will either act as a platform to further attacks
within your network or act as a platform for attacks out to other
organizations.  From the Snort side, either span only the VLAN with
the honeypot on it or use a BPF to restrict capture to just the IP of
the honey pot.