Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort DOS rules & DDOS rules

From: Alex Kirk <akirk () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:10:43 -0400

The DDOS rules are all very old, and are specific to particular tools that
were in the wild at the time of their release (roughly a decade ago). We've
disabled them because those tools have largely fallen by the wayside. Since,
as a general guideline, the fewer rules you run, the faster Snort will
perform, these are disabled in favor of more relevant, current threats.

The DOS rules are actually not all disabled (yes, a lot of them are, but not
all). Those which we've disabled are either :

* In the same category as the DDOS rules - they're looking for old tools
that aren't out there any more
* Looking for vulnerabilities that are old enough we've disabled them by
default, for similar reasons
* Current, but performance-intensive; we let admins that need those rules
turn them on specifically, to avoid a performance hit for users who don't
need them

The biggest potential harm you're looking at is a performance decrease.
Whether or not that's relevant will depend on your environment - if your
Snort box has plenty of resources left, you'll probably be OK, but if it's
already on the edge of dropping packets, you should probably only enable
those rules that you can justify, so you don't lose out on current detection
in favor of something unlikely to be in the wild.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Lawrence R. Hughes, Sr. <