Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort Rules Update 2010-09-27

From: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:39:43 -0400

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:29:35 +0000, Eoin Miller wrote:
  On 9/28/2010 5:25 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 9/28/2010 11:03, infosec posts wrote:
I have to ask, because I must be missing something here.

SID:17494 - web-client.rules -
what's the GID? i suspect it is 3??

FWIW: i see that the GID is becoming more and more important when
talking about
rules...

It's (the GID) going to be 1 because that ruleset is not for a preprocessor.

-- Eoin

To be clear:

Shared object rules are not pre-processors, they have a GID of 3. They
use the same SID range as regular rules (GID 1).

Pre-processors do not use the same SID range.

Yes, it is important to use the GID:SID tuple when talking about
events, it is also useful to include the rev of the rule, so
GID:SID:Rev is preferred.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist