Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule Migration Cheat Sheet?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:45:10 -0500

Maybe a "contest" to see who gets the conversion guide to me in the most accurate and complete format first?

;)

On Dec 22, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Crook, Parker wrote:

There are several new keywords (file_data, byte_extract, http_*)  We don't
have a specific conversion cheat sheet, as the old rule options still work
fine,  the new rule options just allow for clarification of functionality and
a more specific and efficient rule writing process.

That being said, I know a lot of you want to get your rules updated to Snort
2.9 format, I am just swamped, and I know I won't get to it until late
January.  If anyone from the community wants to write a cheat sheet document,
we'll review it, I'll put it on the blog, snort.org, and I'll give you a free
VRT rule subscription for a year.

Takers?

I've had 2.9 setup in the lab for a while and haven't made the push in production yet for this very reason.  I
suppose I can take the plunge and start working on it and I will document my findings.  I'll get started on this but
I'm not sure how long it will take.

-Parker