Snort mailing list archives

Re: Stream5 confusion

From: "Eric L. Howard" <ericlhoward () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 15:15:27 -0500

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Lay, James <james.lay () wincofoods com> wrote:
Hey Team,

So...I'm doing my upgrade to 2.9.0.3, a perfect time to audit my .conf
files.  Maybe I'm over thinking, but I think I'm confused on the
reasons/differences for stream5 ports client/server/both.

in ports <client|server|both> - the directives indicate from which
side of the connection you would like to have stream5 reassemble the
packets.

The default config has things like:

               ports client 21 22 23 ...

This says to reassemble packets from the client side where dst_port is
21, 22, 23. TCP/21, 22, 23 is the server port and Snort reassembles
the client side in this config directive

               ports both 80 311 443 ...

This then means to reassemble packets from both sides of the
connection where the dst_port is 80, 211, 443, etc...

Pretending that we don't have ftp, http, and telnet preprocessors,
wouldn't one want to put things like 21, 22, and 23 in as both or
server?  As I understand it, this is how it works, with port 80 as an
example:

               ports server 80, reassemble any local -> remote port 80

               ports client 80, reassemble local port 80 -> any remote
port

               ports both 80, reassemble local port 80 -> any remote
port or local port 80 -> any remote port

Hope the above helps...

~elh