Snort mailing list archives

Ip_proto's 'lsrre' parameter

From: <Joshua.Kinard () us-cert gov>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:16:53 -0400

Hi -devel,

I was looking at the ip_proto option in detail, and noticed that in the
source code, an undocumented parameter, 'lsrre', exists.  This is not
only not referenced in the 2.9.0 manual, but per a thread[1] from ~July
2007, it also refers to an unofficial IANA number[2], 0x84 (132 dec).
The 'lsrr' parameter has an official IANA value of 0x83 (131 dec).

Is there any clarification available on what 'ip_proto:lsrre;' would
target?  It's used in misc.rules 1:501:4, and references CVE-1999-0909
(which then refers to MS99-038)[3], so it looks to me to be a one-off
option for a specific Windows flaw (much like the entire 'cvs' rule
option).

Can this parameter also get a mention in the next update of the 2.9.0
manual?

Refs:
1. http://www.mcabee.org/lists/snort-users/Jul-07/msg00010.html
   http://www.mcabee.org/lists/snort-users/Jul-07/msg00011.html