Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0.1 Now Available

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:26:56 -0400

On 11/03/2010 09:39 AM, Miso Patel wrote:
This is concerning to me and not something I expect from an enterprise
product.  I think I've mentioned this before but Windows XP is still
supported after more than 10 years.

http://www.pulledbyakite.com/funnypics/horse.gif

So as soon as a new "three digit" release comes out, the old stuff is
not supported?  What about all the snorts in embedded devices (over 100
from what I read)?  What about bugs?  For example, 2.9.0 comes out and
according to this thread, there are bug with HTTP inspect and stream
reassembly.  But people are forced to upgrade since 2.8.x is no longer
supported.  But then they upgrade to a buggy version that can be
bypassed and it seems like catch-22.

I don't think Sourcefire should be responsible for "supporting" products
based on (or using) Snort that are either not from Sourcefire or are
from a leech company.

If Sourcefire makes it, or licenses it, there is a system in place to
ensure quality.

Places that use Snort (not Sourcefire) do so because they a) have staff
with mad skillz in-house and b) work them to death because they're too
cheap to buy a "supported" product. Expect some heavy lifting.

That being said, I do find the x.x.x.x versioning system frightening :-)

Randy