Snort mailing list archives

Re: symbol error with 2.9.1

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:44:52 -0500

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>wrote:

On 11/25/2010 04:07 AM, Russ Combs wrote:
rand_open() is in dnet, which you can get from here:

http://code.google.com/p/libdnet/

What does ldd snort show for libdnet?

Brilliant - thanks for that. Now I see what happened. On the primary
box, 2.9.0.1 works fine, but a couple of days later some Dell management
tools were updated - which injected a new library dir into the standard
search path - and it includes it's own (older) libdnet. As snort was
running, it didn't care. Then I installed it onto the new box (with all
the same apps) and snort used that dnet instead of the system one.

We barely use any of the Dell tools, so I've commented out that path and
now snort is happy again :-)

BTW, this is true for 2.9.0.1; 2.9.1 is under development.  ;)

In my defense, this probably would have happened to me with 2.9.1 too ;-)

LOL - glad it is working.  Lib path ordering can lead to some confusing
situations.

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417