Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort doesn't trigger while the payload size is big (even for ~4-5KB files)

From: Sujit Ghosal <thesujit () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:39:59 +0530

Hey Joel,
      I have figured out the issue. Its because of TCP reassembly of
packets. In the first steam of my payload snort was working flawlessly but
if I jump to the second place of tcp reassembled data then it was not
detecting. Well I knew that the problem can be solved using flowbits
keyword, but I wanted a solution where snort can detect those re-assembled
packets as well. Is it possible to command snort to handle tcp re-assembly
without the use of flowbits?

Regards,
Sujit