Snort mailing list archives

snort 2.9.0.4 won't daemonize, OpenBSD 4.7

From: Olaf Schreck <chakl () syscall de>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:31:08 +0100

Hi,

snort 2.9.0.4 on OpenBSD 4.7, running fine, but won't daemonize. At the
end of the startup messages it says:

   Spawning daemon child...
   My daemon child 3777 lives...
    0x8151dc00*running     15 -c-------f 0000 main

but it doesn't come back to the shell prompt.  I can ^C out and see the
snort child process.  With ^Z, I see 2 snort processes.  Obviously the
parent won't exit while daemonizing.  Any clues why?

The daemonized child runs and alerts just fine.

This happens regardless whether I use -D on the cmdline, "config daemon"
in snort.conf, or both.

Thanks,
chakl