Snort mailing list archives

Re: Getting more context in snort alerts.

From: Edward Fjellskål <edwardfjellskaal () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:21:08 +0100

I wrote a tool to look for files on the wire... nftracker... Leon Ward
implemented the parser for it in OpenFPC, to they should work nice
together now..
nftracker was just for phun, using snort/suricata and writing rules to
find files over the wire will probably be much faster :)

My blogs about carving and pcaps here: http://www.gamelinux.org/?s=carve

I learned about a new tool today from the cisco blog,
http://code.google.com/p/nfex/
And I was thinking of forking and fixing tcpxtract, and somebody all
ready did it :)
Time saved...

I am wanting to
do this. Using a tool like tcpxtract or another tool pull out certain files
and have them automatically get scanned using various tools, (Clamav with
custom sigs, jsunpack perhaps, yara etc). Then have the files moved over for
further automated analysis while ones which did not fire anything useful are
removed. Sure it will miss stuff but I think it may work well in picking up
some stuff, especially if the intitial checks picks out not just 100%
malicious but suspicious stuff as well.

Ive looked into this for some time, and made proof of concepts doing this...
I have started a project to do this and lots more. I have lots of
thoughts on the subject,
and if you want to discuss it head over to #nsmframework on Freenode
if you are IRCing :)

On 10 January 2011 18:00, sudhakar govindavajhala