Snort mailing list archives

Re: bpf filter to filter on *starting* port?

From: Jason Wallace <jason.r.wallace () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:53:26 -0500

not (host 1.2.3.4 and port 9000)

I think that would work. it will discard packets to/from 1.2.3.4 with
either a src or dst port of 9000.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz> wrote:
Hi there

I want to run a BPF filter that ignores all traffic to/from (say) any
TCP server running on port 9000

I could use "not port 9000" - but that will match
1.2.3.4:9000->5.6.7.8:80 - so I'd end up throwing away good data

Is there any BPF skulduggery that allows me to say "not starting-port
9000" (ie it needs to be port 9000 IFF the first packet was a SYN
packet). I guess not, as this is really a "session" issue and tcpdump is
stateless - but it should be so easy to implement, and would probably
allow people to correct around 99% of all BPF filters used out there
today (ahem!)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417