Snort mailing list archives

Re: oinkmaster and so rules.. FAQ broken?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 21:40:34 -0500

On 2/8/2011 20:39, Joel Esler wrote:
On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:28 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 2/8/2011 20:23, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
On 2/8/2011 8:20 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 2/8/2011 19:52, Joel Esler wrote:
Have you tried pulledpork? It takes care of all this for you (plus much more)

how'd i know that was coming?? :? ;)

That train is never late!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I just don't want to see people reinvent the wheel.  That's all.  Trying to save ya'll some work.

that's understandable as well as fine and good but there are some environments
that simply cannot (yet?) switch from oinkmaster for whatever corporate and/or
local reasons there are...

one such reason that i'm aware, and i think i have talked with the pulledpork
maintainer about it, is the merging of all rules files into one rules file...
that is just not an option in our environment... management of individual rules
sets via the snort.conf is much easier handled with the distributed multiple
rules files... but this is quite possibly also a limitation of certain tools
used to manage the rules sets... i've not dug deeper into it because of the
corporate and local limits in place...