Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unified2 questions

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:13:11 -0400

On 4/27/2011 10:22, Lay, James wrote:
My process for handling snort alerts is:

See the alert in the logs
Do a whois on the remote IP
tshark –X the current snort.pcap file matching the remote IP to see the raw
packet caught

+100

i see that you are a believer in the KISS principle, too :)

How does unified2 output fit into this type of response? Thanks for any help all.

that's something i dance with, too... especially since my targeted market is a
SOHO firewall product... we want alerts and possibly active blocking of those
causing the alerts... all the rest of the fluff'n'stuff is much much too much
and over the top... i can see that for possibly some monstrous corporate entity
but way over here in the shallower end of the pool we don't have room for all
that nor do those running in our sphere want to be burdened with all of that...

yeah, i can just see a single mother of three setting up the firewall package, a
database server and some diagnostic workstation along with the one or two other
machines, game consoles and smartphones they may have on their SOHO network...
riiiiiight...