Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple Snort Instances With Identical Interfaces In Daemon

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 22:17:47 +0000

On 5/5/2011 10:06 PM, Joel Esler wrote:
Okay, so a config pid-path: is the request I am hearing?

Joel

config pid-path: would be nice, but also being able to specify the
actual file name its self would be nice so we don't have to make
multiple subdir's to track this stuff.

1. Snort should check for PID file collisions when daemonizing because
if it occurs, the child process just disappears into the ether with no
error/warning.
2. config pid-path: and config pid-file: would be great options to have
within snort.conf

Something else I am noticing, if you use the --pid-path option at the
command line and then you have snort exit gracefully, it just decides to
leaves the .pid file behind without deleting it? This behavior does not
occur unless you use --pid-path when you are daemonizing.

-- Eoin