Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + HTSQL dashboard application

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 11:35:51 -0500

HTSQL is designed to provide a few niche services:

1.  It's easier for less technical users than regular SQL.  Currently,
Our main users are medical research scientists.  They wanted a way to
access their raw data without needing to learn SQL or having to use a
Thick database client like psql.  All they need is a browser and they
can query the DB.

2.  You can use the queries in interesting ways.  Since it's a URL you
can bookmark it, email it, IM it, etc.

3.  HTSQL makes creating things like dashboards pretty easy.  If you
noticed, the Snort dashboard doesn't use any code except for HTML and
Javascirpt.  I imagine writing the same thing in Python would take a few
weeks and be a few hundred lines of code at least.

(I just want to point out that I realize this is no longer a
Snort-related thread, but I think that every Snort user has needs for
analytics, and so this is still a valuable thread for the community.)

These are very needed services!  As I said, I applaud anything that
tries to solve the problem of open-source, web-based analytic
services.

However, here's the sticking point for me: I'm unconvinced that HTSQL
is easier for the layman to understand than regular SQL, because SQL
almost becomes English sentences.  To avoid any ambiguity, please
compare and contrast HTSQL with the Yahoo Query Language
(http://developer.yahoo.com/yql/), which attempts to solve many of the
same problems that HTSQL does, except you have to go through Yahoo for
everything (which is obviously unhelpful to the Snort community).  For
quick reference, an example YQL query looks like this:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yql/console/#h=select * from
flickr.photos.search where text="Cat" limit 10

I'm sure that in HTSQL, the query would be much shorter, but my point
is that you can pretty much read the YQL out loud to anyone, and
they'll understand what it means.  Are you saying that the doctors
you're trying to teach HTSQL to find SQL too confusing?

I've been looking for a safe, robust way of porting YQL to local
databases, and HTSQL fits a lot of the bill, but it means I have to
learn a new query language, and spend a lot of effort modifying
existing queries being used from SQL to HTSQL.  It also means I'd have
to trust HTSQL to correctly map my database and choose the correct
joins.  For instance, maybe I don't want a FULL OUTER JOIN used, and I
want the quicker INNER JOIN for optimization because I know the other
columns can't be null.