Snort mailing list archives

Reload Snort to use new ruleset

From: RICHARD METZER <rlmst26 () mail rmu edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:24:14 -0500

I understand the command *kill -SIGHUP <pid> *should reload Snort with the
ability to read an updated ruleset.  However, it only seems to kill it.  I
am manually adding new rules, so I would like to reload Snort to avoid any
downtime monitoring.  I used the -enable-reload switch when I compiled Snort
on an Ubuntu OS.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

As I understand the command *kill -SIGHUP <pid> *should reload Snort with
the ability to read an updated ruleset; however, it only seems to kill it.
 I am manually adding new rules, so I would like to reload Snort to avoid
any downtime monitoring.  I used the --enable-reload switch when I compiled
Snort. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Rick