Snort mailing list archives

Re: same question about snort rules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 13:27:02 -0400

On Aug 3, 2011, at 11:53 PM, Zhuxian wrote:

1. Does snort provide the test tools and test model to test these rules?

Snort is the way to make sure the rules are correct and Snort starts, if you are looking at how to test the rules
themselves.

Or is there any suggested tools to test these rules?

If you are looking to test the detection the rules provide, you can look at tools like metasploit and other pen-testing
tools.  We use the same tools to test Snort and our rulesets (and a few more) that a lot of you use, so the results
should be the same.

<snip>

2. Some rules are commented in rules file released by snort. Does this means these are the default rules setting for
snort?

So, there are the connectivity over security (connectivity-ips), balanced (balanced-ips), and Security over
connectivity (security-ips) policies.  We have criteria (performance, detection, in the wild, etc) for what rules go
into what policies.  We are currently examining ways to expose that criteria to the end user.  We have a method for how
to do it, I just haven't had a chance to finish the project plan yet.  :)  The VRT makes this determination when we
write the rule and then the determination is double checked when the rule is committed into the set.

Then we have if the rule is "on" or "off" (not-commented out vs. commented out), this is also for performance,
detection, in the wild, etc.  And as I said, we are working on ways to expose this to the user.  The policies override
the default on/off. But the default on/off is there for people who do not use the pulledpork (and Sourcefire) features
of those products to use one of the three policies.

The three policies are a basis start point, then you tune from there.

Is their any references or guides for the customer to tune the rule set?

We don't have a formal written guide for people to tune the rule set for Snort.  Might be a good idea.

However, we are currently working on a project within the VRT to reorganize the entire ruleset into something that
makes more sense for the end user and makes the ruleset easier to tune, both from a starting point, and from a
continuation point (as rule updates are downloaded).  This project plan I am currently working on, and we are going to
be working on it through 2011 (it's a large change).  I will keep the Snort community updated through blog posts on
http://blog.snort.org as the project progresses.

Joel