Snort mailing list archives

Re: Disable sid vs. Suppress

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:00:56 -0400

We have alerts that have flowbit rules that have noalert, we have flowbit rules that don't, and we have some rules that
have two variations, one with a flowbit, and one without.

For example, we have a rule that looks for the download of a Chrome extension. It sets a flowbit, but it's not a
noalert. As the extension is compressed, we are providing the option for Snort I line users to block them completely.

If you have a flowbit "set" rule that doesn't have noalert in it, and you don't want the alert, then set a suppression
in threshold.conf.

--
Joel Esler