Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is it dangerous to tweak http_inspect defaults

From: Mike Lococo <mikelococo () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:06:46 -0400

On 10/12/2011 12:55 PM, Joel Esler wrote:
What we call our "current" snort.conf is the .conf that is shipped in
the VRT rules download tarball in the etc/ directory.

I'll keep that in mind.  I'm using the .conf for snort 2.9.1.1 which as
you note is quite new.

All Snort configurations require tuning for their environment
(memory, rules enabled, locations, var's, etc), however the detection
options should be enabled in order to provide full coverage and
utilize the full features of Snort.

To be clear, I'm interested in enabling *additional* options that appear
to me that they should provide additional evasion protection.  My
question is whether that will have unintended consequences.  It sounds
like your response can be paraphrased as:

     "Yes, it's dangerous to enable additional http_inspect
     normalization like normalize_cookies, normalize_headers,
     and normalize_utf because we count on every installation
     using the config that we ship except for variations in
     memcaps, rules-enabled, and vars".

Thanks,
Mike Lococo