Snort mailing list archives

2.9.1.2 rebuild problems

From: John York <YorkJ () brcc edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:46:00 +0000

I just rebuilt a sensor (Ubuntu 10.0.4, Snort 2.9.1.2, PP 0.61)

Problem 1
It looks like pulledpork is having trouble finding the snort version.  However, snort is installed in the default
location /usr/local/bin, config in /usr/local/etc/snort, etc...  Snort runs fine with
Snort -T -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf

When I ran pulledpork  I got this error:
The specified Snort binary does not exist!

I changed the rule url in pp config to specify 2.9.1.2:
rule_url=https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/|snortrules-snapshot-2912.tar.gz|<oinkers!>

Then pp ran, but gave gazillions of $snort undefined errors.  Manually specifying the snort version at the end of the
pp config fixed that:
snort_version=2.9.1.2

Problem 2
For some reason, the precompiled SO rules didn't get to the proper directory, as pp gave this error:
Warning: No dynamic libraries found in directory /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules!

I untarred the rules pp left in /tmp, and copied the contents of /tmp/so_rules/precompiled/Ubuntu-10-4/x86-64/2.9.1.2/
to /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules

Now everything runs w/o errors, but I imagine I'll need to manually copy the SO rules for a while.

Hmm, just moved to the pulledpork.pl from the SVN, and it seems to work without the changes above.  The SVN version
must have been fixed to handle 2.9.1.2.  It generates this error, but seems to work ok:
Use of uninitialized value $Value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/bin/pulledpork.pl line 104, <CONFIG> line 1.

Thanks
John