Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] [Emerging-Sigs] Snort 2.8.6.1 EOL Reminder

From: Matthew Jonkman <jonkman () emergingthreatspro com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:08:18 -0500

On Dec 1, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Jeff Kell wrote:

On 12/1/2011 4:56 PM, Matthew Jonkman wrote:
Thanks for the good words. Both rulesets are quite good, just different focus for each, and different platforms
supported.

Agreed, but for those of us that aggregate our layers of defense <grin>
it would be very nice to have a ETPRO and ETPRO-noGPL just as you have
an ET and ET-noGPL set.

That's not a bad way to go. You'll have duplicated cycles, but you'll have a net gain in coverage if your sensors can
handle the load.

So on the GPL duplication: We're moving the forked GPL sigs that we're maintaining up to the 2100000 sid range. That'll
be complete today perhaps. We just have the imap category left to go. There were two reasons for that:

1. Let us forl those into suricata versions, and maintain old versions without conflicts and coordination issues

2. Allows you to easily disable the range if you're using them from another source. You can cat and grep them out, or
do a disable range in whatever rule manager used.

Does that work for those issues? NOTE: We push the useful GPL sigs from the old community ruleset (10 million range and
up I think). I don't believe any of those are in the VRT tarball, so if you want those be sure to use the GPL stuff
from our side and filter them out of VRT.

We could put up an ET Pro ruleset without the GPL stuff in there. Wouldn't be a huge deal to implement if it's
necessary.

With the current framework, you can't easily run VRT and ETPRO
(duplication of filenames and signatures).

We generally recommend to ET Pro subscribers using VRT or another ruleset as well that you just drop them into separate
directories and redefine the rules_path var between each. That keeps things clean and organized. The average rule
manage gui shouldn't have the issue at all.

You can however easily run sourcefire (non-VRT) plus ET (non PRO).

Yup! ALthough you'll be missing the community sigs if you go no-gpl.

Thanks Jeff!

Matt

Jeff

Matt Jonkman