Snort mailing list archives

UDP packet size limit

From: Document Retention <document.retention () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:48:19 -0500

Greetings,

During some recent testing it seems that Snort does not detect large (>1500
bytes) UDP packets.  Why does this happen?

I am using hping3 to craft the UDP packets, I see them via tcpdump running
on the snort box but snort refuses to alert.

The rule fires when I have a packet size < 1400 bytes. The rule I am trying
to fire is a very simple "alert udp any any <> any 6033 ..."

What do you guys use to detect this type of packet?

Thanks,

Doc