Snort mailing list archives

cannot authenticate to MSSQL database from BASE

From: tadios tefera <ttefera () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:30:55 -0500

Hi,

I have managed to get Snort 2.9.2 working on Windows 2008 R2 Servers.
The generated data from Snort is being placed in an mssql database.

My setup is as follows:
- Snort on a SERVER-A
- Database (MSSQL) on SERVER-B
- Web Portal (IIS7) on SERVER-C

But I am baffled as to how I can access the Snort data from the database.
I have installed and configured base, adodb, and php on IIS7 and all
indications are that the installs/configurations are correct.
When I access the "base" site from a browser: http://SERVER-C/base , I get
the following error:

Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: Unable to connect to
server: SERVER-B in C:\WinIDS\adodb\drivers\adodb-mssql.inc.php on line 556

Error connecting to DB : snort@SERVER-B
Check the DB connection variables in base_conf.php
               = $alert_dbname   : MySQL database name where the alerts are
stored
               = $alert_host     : host where the database is stored
               = $alert_port     : port where the database is stored
               = $alert_user     : username into the database
               = $alert_password : password for the username

I have verified numberous times that the dbname, host, port, user and
password information are entered correctly in the base_conf.php file.
I have also tried changing hostname with IP and resetting the password on
the database instance with no luck.
I looked into the SQL server logs and it shows encryption is required for
this communication. The exact error message in the mssql logs is:
"Encryption is required to connect to this server but the client library
does not support encryption; the connection has been closed. Please upgrade
your client library. [CLIENT: 192.168.15.111]"

Client with IP 192.168.15.111 is SERVER-C.
My question is, how do I configure authentication encryption to access this
database from Base?

Thanks,

Tad.