Snort mailing list archives

Re: HELP ON SNORT

From: Eric G <eric () nixwizard net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:21:07 -0500

On 01/29/2012 11:49 PM, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
And yeah, I get that it can be installed and not run as a LiveCD, but
your Organization still has to support the base OS. So if it's Ubuntu
you might have an issue with some of the DoD types as they are all pro
RedHat/Cent.  Then there's the update scripts, security checks, etc.
It's not that it can't be done, it's just that it's not the right tool
for that option.  I know it's worked great for you and I think it's a
fantastic learning tool.  A lot of people talk very highly about it.

Well, the thing with DoD types and Linux distributions is that there are
DoD mandates that all software have a support contract, and many DoD
shops (well, the ones I've worked in anyway) already have a RedHat
support license. It's less of an inherent bias and more of a "path of
least resistance" thing (that's how I looked at it anyway). The "skids
were already greased" for RedHat in the shops I've worked in.

If you guys are serious about getting into the DoD space, have a look at
the STIGs (Security Technical Implementation Guides) at
http://iase.disa.mil specifically
http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/os/unix/red_hat.html - those are the nitty
gritty technical requirements one faces when they want to stand a box up
in a DoD environment.

It kind of ends up being easier to buy "appliances" instead of building
servers in DoD because of the STIGs, unless you have the technical
talent on staff to STIG boxes and maintain them... again, not bias, just
"path of least resistance"

--
Eric