Snort mailing list archives

Re: Some notes about today's VRT Rule release for 02/09/2012

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 17:49:06 -0500

On 2/9/2012 17:45, waldo kitty wrote:
On 2/9/2012 17:35, Joel Esler wrote:

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM, waldo kitty<wkitty42 () windstream net>  wrote:
     what policy? i've understood most things up to here... we do not use any
     "policy" rules in our configuration... at least nothing specifically... i don't
     believe that we even include the policy.rules file(s)... so one has to ask, what
     policy? where can one see this policy? does this change blow things up like
     oinkmaster's disablesid option?

We've had three policies in the rules for some time now in the "metadata" field.
"policy connectivity-ips, policy balanced-ips, and policy security-ips"

yes, i've seen those but they mean nothing to me or anything i know of that we
use with snort... i did actually go digging about and found a post by you back
in aug 2001, on the 4th or 11th i think, where you did explain a bit of this...

erk! Aug 2011, not 2001 :?

http://seclists.org/snort/2011/q3/229