Snort mailing list archives

arpspoof preprocessor and barnyard2 \ BASE issue

From: cnuddep () rogers com
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:02:33 -0800 (PST)

Greetings
I have enabled the arpspoof preprocessor in my snort.conf file:

preprocessor arpspoof
preprocessor arpspoof_detect_host: 10.0.0.1 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee

when I run snort and output alerts to the console, then launch an arpspoof attack everything works as expected

snort -c snort.conf -A console
01/17-15:46:44.675601  [**] [112:4:1] (spp_arpspoof) Attempted ARP cache overwrite attack [**]
However, if I fire up barnyard2 it does not insert the alerts into the mysql\snort database running on the same box,
although it inserts events into the event table. I have tested other rules and preprocessors and alerts from them get
inserted without issue.

An error message also shows up in BASE while the arpspoof attack is underway which resembles this:

/var/www/base/includes/base_cache.inc.php:521: ERROR: Alert "1 - 1217" could NOT be found in acid_event.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance