Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort as NIDS -- what's wrong?

From: Bob Aiello <bob.aiello () ieee org>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:40:36 -0400

Hi Marek,

did you uncomment the alerts in the rules file?
Another odd problem that I have seen is changing the ../rules to a
specific path like /etc/snort/rules seems to work better

You can debug this easily by using the -T -c /etc/snort/snort.config
which simply parses your config file and tells if there are any parsing
errors (snorts seems to be silent about these issues unless you use the
-T which requires the -c)

I am a newbee to snort so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong
about these points.

Bob
http://www.linkedin.com/in/BobAiello