Snort mailing list archives

Disabled rule still alerting

From: "Tony Reusser" <treusser () filertel com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:15:59 -0600

I've recently installed the latest 2.9.3.0 VRT ruleset along with the latest
ET rules (as of 8/27)

I'm getting TONS of hits for the following:

3:21355 (BAD-TRAFFIC potential dns cache poisoning attempt - mismatched
txid)

Here is my disablesid.conf:

# BAD-TRAFFIC

MS10-024,cve:2010-1690,3:21355,3:19187

# GPL ICMP_INFO

1:2100368,1:2100366

# SMTP

1:2000328

# DNS

1:2003195

Here is an excerpt from my 'snort.rules' showing it is indeed commented-out:

# alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET 53 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"BAD-TRAFFIC potential
dns cache poisoning attempt - mismatched txid"; sid:21355; gid:3; rev:2;
classtype:attempted-recon; reference:cve,2010-1690;
reference:url,technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS10-024;
metadata: engine shared, soid 3|21355;)

Yet, I continue to get thousands of alerts.  Can anybody help me figure out
how to turn these off?

Thanks

Tony